Friday, June 11, 2010

Fruit Filled Fri. #6: Goodness

For the fruit (the effect, the product) of the Light or the Spirit [consists] in every form of kindly goodness, uprightness of heart, and trueness of life. (Ephesians 5:9)

The simple word "good" is very widely used in our culture... but do we realize what we are saying when we say "Good morning, day, night, bye" etc. Were saying to sometimes perfect strangers may "good" things happen to you... or are we telling them to exhibit "good" behaviour?! When did it become a term of wide use?! I guess my point is the essence of "goodness" must be cultivated. A seed planted- a new life begun...

No one would ever look into a newborns eyes and see "badness"... So how do they then turn into "terrible toddlers?" Funny how we don't have to teach what is considered "bad" behaviour... but we must teach what is "good." Do they learn these behaviours the instant they crawl away from their mothers? Think back to when a child first emerges from the womb. The first cries... Oh! how we yearn to hear that cry! We say with a collective sigh, "Good their crying"... cause it's "bad" at that point if their not! It means all is right with them- usually.

So, how is it that soon we come to hear that "same" cry as "bad." How can they be hungry again? I just changed them! O.K. so some of you may feel otherwise... but really this becomes a demand not always easily fixed. They want the comfort only you the parent can bring. Then, they grow more each year... and somehow become more "needy" and selfish!? They "need" more things that only the parent can give. They want you to work to provide things for their own pleasure... one year it's a bike, next a car!? But, I've been "good"... I "deserve" it!! Especially at Christmas time, right?

We are given the responsibility as parents... (whether you have one or 5 like us) to implant the "fruits of the Spirit" such as "goodness" into our children. As we know they certainly don't grow on their own. If we fail to properly nourish them with food for their physical bodies they will not thrive and mature properly. Thus, if we fail to properly implant the seeds of the "fruits of His Spirit" in their hearts, they will not thrive spiritually.

So fitting to be blogging on "goodness" on the 1st day of my kids summer break. Just this morning I heard the signs of "badness" emit from my living room... it's never "good" to hear fighting. Five kids, one living room, excitement of summer= bound to happen! I think, "Thank goodness their father is home." There's that word again... oh and of course I don't have to intervene.

What does it mean to tell our children, "Be good" rather than bad?! Do they really understand what is expected? Have we properly modeled the fruit that is expected? Have you ever caught yourself in a heated argument with said spouse or ? There's a knock at the door, or the phone rings. Suddenly, we turn ever so pleasant... then do we go back to arguing?! Do we teach our children this... (bicker, bicker) Now be "Good."

Why do we neglect to daily cultivate the "fruits" in our children? It is work, it takes patience to see the results! I personally have a goal to teach my own 5 Blessings as many of His fruits as possible this summer- 2 whole months. Then to continue even after. I want to send rich vibrant fruit back to 1st, 4th & 5th grades in Aug. I don't want rotten, spoiled, fruit coming from our home!

I am so overwhelmed and thankful my Lord exhibits all the fruits toward me... wretched sinner I am!! That I would exhibit that same brotherly Love toward others!
He rejoices over me... (Zeph. 3:17) That I would rejoice with others and not grow jealous!
He is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6) the Light in the darkness. (John 8:12) That I would shed the light of Peace in dark situations!
Patience. Oh! How the Lord is patient with me. That I would exhibit a portion of that patience with others and their short-comings! (Romans 12:12 & 2 Tim. 2:24)
He is the ultimate Act of Kindness! That I would strive to daily to look to see, where a small gesture of kindness can change an others day from "bad" to "Good!"
Thankfully our salvation is not based on "How Good" of a person we are. Let us remember to allow for each others faults... that no one... our children, our spouse, or others; would go away feeling there not good enough!
Remember, goodness is grace poured out!

In the end we all want to hear our Lord say, "Well done, good and faithful servant..." (Matt. 25:21)
Have a Good Day!!!

JKEST-Vicki!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment